Monday, February 22, 2010

Week 6: Competition layout

To educate students in the University of Hawaii about energy conservation we're creating a competition to encourage lower usage of electricity..

After starting on a new approach to creating content for our Kukui Cup Energy Dorm Competition, the members and I started making a second set of mockups for the second date in the timeline October 4th, 2010. That is the planned first day of the competition. Basically we create the pages and content that will be on the site in a mockup form. At this point we try to add as much content as makes sense.

My responsibility was for the energy data content on the site. In the previous week we had worked on the site on the day of September 9th 2010. Once I got some comments, I make some improvements for that. After that, I started on the energy data for October 4th.

I decided focus on a new approach to what the user would see. Most users who visit this page would probably want information to help them win the competition. I made some indications of their progress. I gave them knowledge of when they had their highs and lows of energy consumptioon and also if they had reduced their consumption. However, that is what I plan to show. Given that October 4th is the first day, the mockup isn't that great in showing reduction and more information.

I also made a different way of accessing the granular data for the charts. Charts are secondary at this point. I decided to focus less on the charts and more on data that the user might want to know instead. Basically I created a sort of directory selection for the user to choose. All the subselections for a particular week is hidden until the user clicks on the triangle button to traverse the directory. The dropdown boxes are then revealed after you click on the triangle. When you choose a hour or day option, you submit once again. At this point I think it seems kind of complex and may hinder usage. But it seemed like a good idea because it saved space.
Most of what I've done is toward creating all the possible views of this selection system. You can look at a detailed explanation at the project site. here

No comments:

Post a Comment