Friday, May 14, 2010

Flash Video Interface: Analysis of the features

Flash video players are a big part of the web environment, and even with the coming upgrades from html5, most websites still rely on the Flash interface to stream video content to users. I thought it was interesting on an aesthetic and design level. So I decided to focus my attention on researching several Flash video players and examining the interfaces for each player. This was an ICS 419 design project. What's surprising is the complete lack of literature and studies for interface designs. I found that most sites had instruction guides that showed people how to install and create your Flash video players, but they didn't really talk about the design aspect of the interface. Most of them just used a premade layout from Adobe.

After looking at several interfaces from well known sites and some not so well known ones, I gave my analysis on what I thought. This analysis was based on design principles from Donald A. Normans books about the same topic, Emotional Design and The Design of Everyday Things. Norman gave general ideas about design in general, whereas I applied them to Flash video player interfaces.

Donald A. Norman was at one time the Vice President of Apple Computer's Advanced
Technology Group. His writings taught me a lot about design, but also about the world we live in.

Here is my paper: here

No comments:

Post a Comment